Imam Zamana’s (a.t.f.s.) discourse on the day of reappearance
The First Word
When the reappearance of Imam (a.t.f.s.) will be decreed, he will emerge and initiate the process of reformation of the world. Imam (a.t.f.s.) along with his band of 313 loyalists, who will form the core group of his army, will accept the allegiance from the people between Maqame Ibrahim and Rukne Yamani in the precincts of Masjidul Haraam. The first words that Imam (a.t.f.s.) will utter will be the 86th verse of Surah Hud. Imam Baqir (a.s.) says:
‘When our Qaim will reappear, he will recline against the wall of Holy Kaaba. Among his followers, 313 men will assemble around him. The first words that he will speak will be the holy verse, ‘What remains with Allah is better for you if you are believers…’ Then he will say, I am the ‘Remnant of
Allah’ (Baqiyatullah) and His Caliph and His Hujjat. At that moment everyone will address Imam (a.t.f.s.) thus – Peace be on you O Remnant of Allah in His Earth.’
The Second Word
The next thing that the Imam (a.t.f.s.) will say will be the 74th verse of Surah Zumar. Imam Jafar Sadiq (a.s.) says: ‘Our Qaim will reappear alone. When he will enter Masjidul Haram, he will be in a state of solitude. He will spend the night in the same solitary state. When the darkness will descend on the horizon, Jibraeel, Mikaeel and the angels will descend in hordes and Jibraeel will address Imam thus – O our master, your command will be obeyed. Your orders shall be executed.’ sSubsequently, Imam (a.t.f.s.) will touch his face and say:
All praise belongs to Allah who fulfilled His promise to us and made us to inherit the earth. We will stay in heaven where we fancy. This is the best reward for the good doers. Then he will stand between Rukne Yamani and Maqame Ibrahim and with his soothing voice he will address his friends scattered in the various nooks and corners of the world. O our chosen ones, our confidantes, our companions and those who are selected by Allah for my assistance and were gathered on the earth prior to my reappearance, wherever you all are, rush towards me at once!” Imam Jafar Sadiq (a.s.) says: ‘The companions of Imam (a.t.f.s.) who would be busy worshipping or may be resting on their beds will immediately respond to Imam’s (a.t.f.s.) earnest call and rush towards him in a jiffy. They will meet their Imam between Rukne Yamani and Maqame Ibrahim.’
The Third Word
Imam’s (a.t.f.s.) third utterance will be the 10th verse of Surah Fatha, which he will recite while acknowledging the allegiance. The events of allegiance are related from Mufazzal who quotes Hazrat Imam Sadiq (a.s.):
‘O Mufazzal! Allah has cursed all those who had sworn allegiance or accepted allegiance on disbelief and hypocrisy prior to my reappearance. O Mufazzal, the Qaim will recline against the wall of Holy Kaaba and extend his hands. The skin of his hands will be very fair. He will say, ‘this is the hand of God, on his behalf and on his command’ and then he will recite the following verse:
‘Surely those who swear allegiance to you do but swear allegiance to Allah; the hand of Allah is above their hands. Therefore whoever breaks (his faith), he breaks it only to the injury of his own soul’.
(Surah Fatha: 10)
The Fourth Word
Imam’s (a.t.f.s.) fourth expression will be a self-introduction. Abu Khalide Kabuli (r.a.) has narrated from Imam Muhammad Baqir (a.s.):
‘It is as if I can visualise the Qaim (a.t.f.s.) with his back reclined against Hajare-Aswad and swearing in Allah’s Name: O People! Whoever argues with me with regard to proximity to Allah, then he must know that I am closer to Allah (than him). If someone competes with me with regards to Adam then I am closer to Adam. O People! If someone competes with me with regards to Nuh then I am closer to Nuh.
- O People! If someone competes with me with regards to Ibrahim then I am closer to Ibrahim.
- O People! If someone competes with me with regards to Moosa then I am closer to Moosa.
- O People! If someone competes with me with regards to Isa then I am closer to Isa.
- O People! If someone competes with me with regards to Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.a.) then I am closer to Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.a.).
- O People! If someone competes with me with regards to the Book of Allah then I am closer to Book of Allah.
Thereafter, he (a.t.f.s.) will come to the Maqam-e-Ibrahim, perform two rakats prayer and praise Allah as is His right.’
The Fifth Word
The fifth thing that Imam (a.s.) will elucidate is that he is the manifestation of all the past prophets. Mufazzal relates from Imam Jafar Sadiq (a.s.):
‘Qaim (a.s.) will rest his back against the wall of Kaaba and say:
- If anyone wants to see Adam and Sheeth then I am Adam and Sheeth.
- If anyone wants to see Nuh and Saam then I am Nuh and Saam.
- Whoever wants to see Ibrahim and Ismail then I am Ibrahim and Ismail.
- Whoever wants to see Moosa and Yusha’ then I am Moosa and Yusha'(a.s.)
- Whoever wants to see Isa and Sham’un then I am Isa and Sham’un.
- Whoever wants to see Muhammad and Ali, then I am Muhammad and Ali.
- Whoever wants to see Hasan and Husain, then I am Hasan and Husain.
- Whoever wants to see Imams from the offspring of Husain then I personify the Imams who descended from Husain…………Listen to me so that I can tell you about those things which you have heard and also those which you have not.’
All the noble traits and characteristics that distinguished the past prophets shall accumulate in the holy persona of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.).
As a poet said: s’Had the merits and excellences of all the men drawn together sThen they shall integrate in thy holy self alone.’
Imam will raise the standard of Tauheed like Ibrahim, he will embody the steadfastness and sacrifice of Ismail. He will be awe-inspiring and dignified like Moosa. His exemplary conduct and cordial nature will be like his own great grandfather, the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). Imam’s (a.t.f.s.) bravery, magnanimity, knowledge and forbearance will remind people of his grandfather, Imam Ali (a.s.). Imam (a.t.f.s.) will also be the elucidator of Imam Hasan’s (a.s.) truce and the avenger of the sacred blood of Imam Husain (a.s.).
The Sixth Word
There is a consensus between the Shias and Sunnis over the sixth word that Imam (a.t.f.s.) will utter on the day of his reappearance. Imam (a.t.f.s.) will reappear in Arial”>Mecca after Namaz-e-Isha. He (a.t.f.s.) will be carrying the standard of Islam and wield the sword of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). He will be dressed in the attire of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). In addition to these, all other signs and evidence related to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) will be present in him. After concluding Namaz-e-Isha, he will speak aloud in his pleasant voice: People! Recall the day when you all will be summoned to
your Lord for accounts of your deeds. People! (Don’t you remember) numerous prophets had come to you and delivered the Message of Allah.
- I warn you all against associating partners with Allah. I urge you to follow the divine command in its entirety and obey the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.).
- Accept whatever the Holy Quran has ordained for you and refrain from what it has prohibited you.
- Support guidance and assist piety.
- The world is on its way to destruction and total annihilation.
- I exhort all of you to worship Allah, obey the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) and follow the Holy Quran, revive the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) and eradicate falsehood.
At this juncture, the 313 faithful supporters will rise for Imam’s (a.t.f.s.) assistance. These men will be worshippers at night and brave warriors during the day.